How to Become a Foster Parent
Thank you for your interest in becoming a foster parent with TCS. Caring for the rising number of abused and neglected children requires a serious commitment. However, the personal satisfaction that comes from providing a stable, nurturing, and secure environment to a child in crisis is beyond measure. Here is how you begin the process:
In Fresno call Michelle Bejarano at (559) 222-5437 and in Visalia call Vanessa Hernandez at (559) 623-9124. They can share with you the qualifications, physical requirements of your home and general information needed to become a foster parent.
Michelle Bejarano can be reached via E-mail.
Vanessa Hernandez can be reached via E-mail.
Attend an Orientation. Please click on the Learning Calendar link to see our next orientation date. Our Orientations are free and open to the public. TCS will support you through your journey!
- Must have compassion and the willingness to nurture a child who is in crisis
- Have space in your home for a child (no more than two children shall share a bedroom)
- Have a valid California Driver’s License and proof of auto insurance
- All adults in the home must pass a fingerprint background check
(DOJ, FBI, 7 CACI)
- Complete a general health exam and TB test
- Must be First Aid and CPR certified (we also offer these courses, see the “Calendar” link)
- Basic Water Rescue Training is mandatory if you have a pool, spa, or pond or if you take
children swimming in an area where there is no lifeguard on duty
Steps To Becoming A Foster Parent
- Attend an Orientation and complete a prospective foster parent questionnaire
- Complete an application
- Attend our 20 hours of Foster/Adopt PRIDE training
- Participate in an interview as part of the certification process
- A home check will be completed by our Foster Parent Recruiter/Trainer
- Our Foster Parent Recruiter/Trainer will write up a Home Study
- Complete all requirements listed above…